The just concluded negotiated released 82 kidnapped Chibok school girls in Borno State, Nigeria were handed over to the Department of State Service under the supervision of Ministry of Women Affairs in FCT, Abuja on Tuesday 30 May 2017.

Chibok girls
Chibok School Girls

The Federal Government of Nigeria disclosed that the Chibok girls have commenced reorientation by teaching the released school girls the techniques of how to speak proper English language.

It was further reviewed that 20 special English language trainers and teachers have been contracted and employed to inculcate the girls with remedial classes.

The above was disclosed by the Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Aisha Alhassan, in FCT, Abuja on Tuesday while receiving the released 82 Chibok girls.

The bases of the above was that sometimes in April 2014, not less than 219 school girls were kidnapped from Government Secondary School, in Chibok Town in Borno State, Nigeria where most of the school girls were about to commence the West African Senior School Certificate Examination.

Sometime in 2016, not less than 24 of the Chibok school girls were released by the Nigeria military in search of the school girls.

Early in May 2017 a set of 82 were released after negotiation by the Federal government of Nigeria in exchange of the detained members of the Boko Haram sects.

The Chibok girls have been detained by the Boko Haram terrorists group for over three years.

The 82 Chibok school girls were kept in a health facility under the supervision of the Department of State Services, where they underwent medical tests, treatment and care.

The Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Aisha Alhassan disclosed as follows

“I thank the teachers and vocational trainers for training them. The 24 girls who could not speak good English, can now speak good English and I am sure by the time they handle the new ones (82), they will also speak good English and will be able to pass JAMB, WASSCE and NECO when they go back to school.”

The minister said by September, the rehabilitation of all the girls would have been completed and they would be enrolled in school.

She said since the girls had missed three years of school, they would need to take remedial classes.

“We are going to keep them till the school year starts in September. Dr. Anne (Okoroafor) said they are both medically and psychologically stable. The therapy will go on for four months till September when they will be enrolled in school.

“Therefore, the programme will last from now till September when they would be in school. By then, they would have overcome the trauma.”